Note: We are scheduled to have a live video stream of Tony Parker’s …
Note: We are scheduled to have a live video stream of Tony Parker’s announcement at 4 p.m. today
What will Tony Parker do today?
The Atlanta schoolboy legend will make his highly-anticipated college decision shortly after 4 p.m. Monday.
Parker, who is ranked as the nation’s No. 20 overall college basketball prospect by Scout.com, will pick between hats from Duke, UGA, UCLA, Kansas, Ohio State and Memphis.
“Whichever college gets Tony, they will be getting a player with a good feel for the game and a great basketball IQ, along with an incredible post presence,” Miller Grove High School basketball coach Sharman White told the AJC on Sunday night.
Parker’s basketball coach didn’t offer any hints on the big decision, only saying, “I can imagine this weekend was either peaceful or stressful, depending on if he was confident with his choice.”
The 6-foot-9, 280-pound Parker did not return phone calls on Sunday. He has kept an extremely low profile over the last couple of weeks. On Sunday, Parker hung out at the house of his childhood buddy, Josh Holsey, the Creekside High School senior who has signed a football scholarship with Auburn.
Parker and Holsey played AAU basketball together for about five years.
“I don’t really know what he’s going to do,” Holsey claimed. “It’s a mystery to me, just like everybody else. We just hung out, and we didn’t really talk about [his decision] … he was very relaxed, and didn’t seem too stressed out about anything.”
If Parker picks UGA, he would be the Bulldogs’ highest-profile recruit in the post area since McDonald’s All-America selection Carlos Strong in 1992. As far as surprises, Parker might rank among the biggest in UGA history. The Bulldogs were never really considered a serious contender until the last couple of months.
Parker, who averaged 16.6 points and 11 rebounds this past season, led Miller Grove to four straight state championships.
What do we think? Parker has kept it close to vest during the entire recruiting process. He is very hard to read. Nevertheless, recruiting wouldn’t be fun without some good ol’ speculation. Our theory? We’d guess it’s 50-50 between UGA and UCLA, with Ohio State as the new darkhorse. Apparently, Jared Sullinger’s early departure to the NBA may be appealing to Parker. With Duke, we feel like if he had wanted to go there, he would’ve signed in the early period. With Kansas, Parker fell in love on his official visit but the Jayhawks may have been hurt when assistant Danny Manning was hired away. UCLA has basketball tradition and his longtime AAU coach (Korey McCray) as an assistant, but it’s far away from Parker’s family. UGA doesn’t have the same basketball predigree as the other finalists but Parker could be re-united with two of his Miller Grove teammates next season and be assured a starting position by the time the fax is received by the Bulldogs.
What’s your prediction? Please post below.
HOT OFF THE PRESSES …
- Surprise: OL transfer Max Garcia goes with Florida over early frontrunner UGA
- Georgia Tech on the rise with 4-star DE … while UGA is falling
- Coach blames HIS WIFE for NCAA violation
- New SEC school does something B-I-G to get attention of Georgia recruits
- State championship QB makes return trip to Tech
- Robert Nkemdiche: Did Ole Miss sign his brother to get consensus No. 1 prospect?
- Recruiting REWIND: RB Kenyan Drake reflects on Nick Saban, signing with Alabama over UGA Tech
- Mark Richt on hot recruiting start: “It’s a good thing”
- Tony Parker DENIES rumors about UCLA, will sign on Friday … no, Monday
- VIDEO: UGA’s blistering start in recruiting for 2013
- How will Reuben Foster’s TRANSFER affect UGA’s chances of flipping Alabama recruit?
- This kid might commit to UGA … at any minute
- Jordan Jenkins: UGA-bound DE was “big fish that got away” from Nick Saban, Alabama
AJC’S INSTANT RECRUITING CLASSICS
- One of college football’s BEST recruiting ideas of the spring
- Dabo’s plan to REVOLUTIONIZE college football
- Mark Richt and Paul Johnson: Sales pitches to the state’s loaded 2013 class of football recruits
- “The story that won’t go away” … Alabama’s grayshirt scandal
– By Michael Carvell, AJC Recruiting Blog
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
- Want to see a list of the top 125 prospects state of Georgia who signed with D1 schools? It’s looong. Go here.
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.
Please Follow me on Twitter @RecruitingAJC Facebook friend here